Everybody has their best and worst buys for baby. Reading all of these books and articles online about what is and isn’t recommended is enough to confuse anyone, let alone a heavily pregnant, overtired, and unsure first time mum!
So here is my list of some of the best purchases that I feel we made for our first baby…
- Baby Gros/Sleepsuits – This is literally all you need (plus vests) for your baby in those first few months! Seriously, those little outfits may look cute, but you try changing a wriggly baby in and out of one after a poo explosion or projectile vomit!
- Play Mat – We got a hand-me-down from a friend, it was as he called it “a cheap and crappy playmat” however my son loves it! I’m so glad that we didn’t fork out a load of money like so many of my friends have, but at the same time, don’t know where I’d be without this!
- Baby Carrier – We have an ergobaby 360 carrier and love it! We’ve been using it since my son was about 4wks I think? It was basically from when he was the minimum weight recommended… Both my husband and I use the carrier, and both find it very comfortable to wear! It’s a life-saver for walks – particularly along the beach or in the woods where the pram just wouldn’t cope! Also visits to the zoo which are rather hilly for a heavy pram, and trips to the shops when you need your hands free!
- Grobags (sleeping bags) – I only wish we could have used these right away! Chase was quite small at first, so well under the recommended weight for grobags. So the first few weeks we had to get by with tucking him in with blankets… Luckily it was a warm summer when he was born, as he just would not keep a blanket on! As soon as you put it on, no matter how tucked in he was, he’d get it off within about 10mins! The first night we put him into a grobag he slept right through, and has done every night since! I’ve just invested in some more in the next size up ready!
- Baby Thermometer – We spent quite a bit of money on a Braun Thermoscan Thermometer… And I must admit it was worth every penny! My husband was a bit dubious about the money spent on the gizmo, as I really wanted the one which changed colour depending on the temperature reading to be green/amber/red, you can also input the age of the baby so it would give you a colour based on the recommended temperature range for your aged baby. We’ve used it more times than I’d like already, so it’s definitely money well spent!
- Dummies – A bit controversial I know, but I don’t know what we’d do without them! We use the MAM soothers, and Chase will instantly go down at bedtime when he’s given his!
- Room Thermometer – Another thing alot of people would probably find unnecessary, but we really like ours. We purchased a groegg thermometer, which also doubles up as a nightlight… It’s great as a quick reference to see which grobagg to use and how many layers to put little man in!
- Baby Bouncer – Daytime play, snoozes and sitting around watching Baby TV! We purchased a Chicco Hoopla bouncer – doesn’t have any fancy vibrating or music, but he loves it all the same!
- Muslins – Everyone said to me to ensure to have lots of these to hand, and I’m so glad I listened! We have about 20, and yet I still seem to struggle to find a clean one when needed!
Next up, my worst baby buys, so please keep reading!